Quite a large number of women complains of abdominal pain before menstruation and after them. But there are still those who have a stomach ache even after the days of menstruation. So what are the reasons for this and what happens in the female body?
The fact is that each organism is individual and the causes in all pain sensations are diverse. Whatever it was, you must carefully treat your body and look for the causes of any pain that appears.
Why pulling or hurting lower abdomen after menstruation
Sometimes after menstruation there are sensations, as if pulling the lower abdomen. The reasons for this behavior are varied and not necessarily gynecological.
The main causes of lower abdominal pain after menstruation:
- Violations of the gastrointestinal tract. Abdominal distention causes very unpleasant sensations, and abdominal pain is varied. In this case, pain can be felt in the uterus. In this case, it is necessary to get rid of constipation or another cause of bloating with the help of proven medicines, or to seek help from a gastroenterologist.
- Pregnancy. A woman may have bleeding instead of menstruation, but she does not pay attention to it. When the bleeding ends, a pulling pain in the abdomen remains. It is necessary to check the probability of pregnancy if the periods were not as usual, but more scarce. If necessary, consult a gynecologist.
- Inflammatory gynecological diseases:
- Adnexitis. In this disease, the uterine appendages become inflamed, which forms adhesions in the fallopian tubes. Symptoms: fever, feeling unwell, lower abdominal pain, purulent diseases are possible in the ovaries or fallopian tubes. Necessary to appeal to the gynecologist.
- Endometriosis. The uterine lining may appear in other tissues or organs. Symptoms: discharge of dark clotted masses, pain during sexual contact, urination, bowel movement. The disease is asymptomatic, so in case of suspicion of the disease you should not postpone the visit to the gynecologist.
- Vulvitis The mucous membrane of the external genital organs is inflamed, yeast fungus or other dangerous infections may appear. Symptoms: burning or itching on the genitals, swelling, purulent discharge. Methods of treatment: compliance with the rules of intimate hygiene, washing with chamomile decoction, the use of antifungal drugs prescribed by a gynecologist.
- The presence of ovulation. If after 7-10 days after menstruation the stomach hurts, it can speak about ovulation. Usually it is accompanied by a nagging pain in the abdomen, a slight tingling in the lower back. A woman does not always feel these symptoms of ovulation. It can be completely asymptomatic. The main cause of pain during ovulation is the follicle rupture. In this process, a very small amount of blood may appear. In order not to think, not to guess, you need to buy a test for the presence of ovulation. It is worth remembering that the pain in the lower abdomen during ovulation is not a pathology. This condition is inherent in almost all women.
- If an abortion is done or there is a miscarriage, it is quite possible that the pain in the abdomen after menstruation will appear for a while. These feelings should be treated carefully, as inflammation may appear. Consultation is required.
Why do uterine pains after menstruation occur?
Often in girls after menstruation, the uterus hurts, it may seem like a stomach ache.
Causes of pain in the uterus:
- hormonal disbalance,
- elevated levels of estrogen in the blood,
- when there is an intrauterine contraceptive spiral,
- after insomnia, nervous overstrain, stressful situations,
- wrong location of the uterus.
In order to avoid uterine pathology, it is necessary to consult a gynecologist for advice.
Abdominal pain can be caused by other diseases that are not related to the end of menstruation.
- inflammation of the pancreas,
- gastritis or ulcers,
- inflammation of the gallbladder,
- inflammation of the kidneys, the presence of stones in them,
- duodenal diseases,
- worm infestation.
After childbirth, women usually develop bleeding. Often they are confused with the monthly. Lochia - so called these selection. Sometimes they are accompanied by abdominal pain. You need to know that after childbirth, menstruation begins only after the woman stops breastfeeding. It is also worth considering the moment that after childbirth the woman's period will recover for some time, there may be abdominal pain.
The first 2-3 days after birth, discharge will be abundant and abdominal pain is possible. But if the pain increases every day, and the discharge becomes more, the help of a specialist is needed.
How to treat abdominal pain after menstruation
If the stomach hurts after the menstrual period, the obligatory and immediate help of the doctor is necessary if there are such symptoms:
- a few days kept fever
- secretions that appear from the genitals, have an unpleasant smell and a suspicious color,
- from the nipples on the chest appear white or clear discharge,
- after menstruation the breast increases,
- severe abdominal pain after childbirth.
In the case when a specialist did not find any serious cause of abdominal pain, you can use folk remedies.
- Drink plenty of water and herbal tea. You can make a collection of leaves or flowers of chamomile, lemon balm, St. John's wort. Add honey or lemon. This tea is able to soothe the pain, if they are not associated with serious diseases.
- Take a warm bath with aroma oils. This procedure will soothe and relieve pain in the chest or abdomen.
- Prepare tea from the dry leaves of wild strawberry.
- Tie a belly with a warm scarf and put on your socks. A little more to lie and do not lift heavy objects.
- One teaspoon of herb of wormwood brew in 200 ml of boiling water. Drink 100 ml of infusion 2 times a day.
It is also necessary to observe the daily regimen, eat right, avoid stressful situations, walk more often in the open air, do yoga.
Many women, feeling pain in the abdomen after menstruation, do not pay attention to her. But this is far from the right course of action. Such pain can cause serious gynecological and other diseases. It is worth remembering that the increase in temperature after menstruation, sharp pain in the abdomen and unusual discharge - a reason to consult a specialist for advice.
Why after menstruation the lower abdomen hurts. . Why there are nagging pain in the lower abdomen after menstruation? First, the cause can be all sorts of gynecological diseases
If the pregnancy test is negative, the delay, lower abdominal pain, there may be internal causes. Why can stomach ache after menstruation?
Causes of pain in women after menstruation
Severe periods with postmenstrual pain can be associated with stress and insomnia.
Also, heavy periods and insomnia sometimes cause disruptions in the thyroid gland, which is a regulator of the body's hormonal background.
Another cause of pain may be an abnormal position or underdevelopment of the uterus.
Postmenstrual pains are also possible during inflammatory processes in the uterus or fallopian tubes.
In addition, often postmenstrual abdominal pains are caused by the use of an intrauterine device, which irritates the walls of the uterus and prevents its reduction.
Hormonal causes of abdominal pain after menstruation
Since the activity of the uterus, like the rest of the genital (and not only) organs, strongly depends on fluctuations in the hormonal background of the body, an increase in estrogen levels (often seen in women over the age of thirty) leads to lengthening and increased painful periods, as well as to jumps "cycle.
In addition, some symptoms of PMS with this background can persist after menstruation, which also causes abdominal pain after menstruation.
Also, abdominal pain can be caused by an imbalance in the body between the sex hormones and prostaglandins (substances that cause uterine contraction) with a predominance of the second — which is possible if the uterus produces prostaglandins too much, or with a reduced level of sex hormones.
If the pain stops after a day or two after menstruation - most likely, there was just a "jump" of hormonal levels and it is absolutely not scary. If abdominal pain continues for several days and is accompanied by some strange discharge (and even more so by a rise in temperature), you should immediately consult a doctor, since any disease of the thyroid gland or genital organs can lead to rather serious consequences.
How to cope with pain after menstruation?
Painless periods and, especially, the period after them are considered normal. In other cases, be sure to contact an experienced doctor. Self-medication with analgesics is unacceptable.
During menstruation, rhythmic contractions of the walls of the uterus occur, which contribute to the release of everything, so to say "unnecessary". If a woman has especially sensitive pain receptors of the abdominal cavity, each such contraction can be given to them by pain in the abdomen. Many in this case without further thinking, simply absorb a large number of painkillers and wait out unpleasant moments.
Not everyone understands that the sensitivity of receptors to a large extent depends on the hormones - prostaglandins, which are produced in the uterus and stimulate its reduction. The more of these hormones, the stronger the reduction of the uterus and, consequently, the pain.
Therefore, with severe pain after and during menstruation, it is imperative to contact a gynecologist and endocrinologist for a complete hormonal examination.
Ovulatory abdominal pain in women after menstruation
Ovulatory pain does not appear in all women, but still most of the fair sex are familiar with her. Pain appears about two weeks before the onset of menstruation, the pain is felt right inside the pelvic bone.
During ovulation, a slight bleeding from the ovary occurs, it causes irritation on the wall of the abdominal cavity, and as a result, the woman has pain. The intensity of pain depends on the individual characteristics of the organism and on the degree of bleeding.
If a woman has a stomach ache after menstruation during ovulation, then this is a feature of the woman’s reproductive system, and not any pathology, painful ovulation can not provoke other gynecological diseases.
Since during the cycle, the right and left ovary often work in turns, then pain during menstruation can be observed sometimes on the right, then on the left. The pain concentrates in the lower abdomen and appears about two weeks before the onset of menstruation. The pain does not last long, depending on the individual characteristics, can last for several minutes or several hours, although some women complain of dull pain that torments them throughout the day.
The nature of the pain - it can be acute or dull, its intensity is low. In general, everything related to menstrual pain, it is difficult to fit the overall picture. The body of each woman is individual, and therefore the pain can be manifested completely differently, have different intensity. Some women carry everything on the move, while others just need bed rest and painkillers.
Features of the treatment of ovulatory abdominal pain
If you have pain in the middle of the menstrual cycle, for prevention, go to the gynecologist, only after the examination you can make sure that the pain is really associated with ovulation. A woman should keep a diary of ovulation, and mark the beginning and end of menstruation in the calendar, as well as the day when pain occurs, this will help the doctor in establishing the correct diagnosis.
If the issue of contraception is relevant for a woman, then it is possible to use oral contraceptives, which are aimed at suppressing ovulation. At the same time, two problems are solved at once - this is the control of unwanted pregnancy, and getting rid of pain after menstruation and with ovulation.
Chest pain after menstruation
Pain in the chest and nipples after menstruation is one of the adverse symptoms that you should definitely pay attention to. Such chest pains are called mastalgia. At a young age (11–17 years old) such pain is often caused by the growth of the mammary glands and eventually passes. In this case, you should not worry much: the formation of the menstrual cycle, the growth of the skeleton and the bone skeleton, hormonal changes in the girl's body - all this contributes to chest pain during this period of the girl's life. But if chest pain after menstruation appears at a more mature age, when the menstrual cycle and hormones are already stable - this may indicate inflammatory processes in the mammary glands or even the presence of tumors.
If after each menstruation a woman suffers from prolonged pain in the chest and nipples, the hormonal background is disturbed. One of the causes of postmenstrual chest pain may be pregnancy, so you need to do a pregnancy test or donate blood for hCG. If pregnancy is excluded, it is worth looking for the reason in the following:
- Recently transferred operations.
- Injuries to the chest or chest area.
- Problems with muscle or bone tissue.
- Taking some sedatives.
It is very difficult to determine the cause of pain independently (except for pregnancy, which is easy to diagnose with a test or blood test for hCG). That is why if you experience the above problems, you should immediately consult a doctor.
Pain in the uterus after menstruation
During menstruation, the uterus is constantly reduced, so the girls experience the usual pain, back pain and in the ovaries. Pain in the uterus after menstruation can be caused by hormonal disturbances and increased levels of estrogen in the blood (usually in girls after 30 years).
Sometimes the uterus is not located correctly, ie it is located in the abdominal cavity in the wrong place. Where should. Such an incorrect location of the uterus is sure to cause nagging pains after menstruation. The use of the intrauterine contraceptive spiral often causes similar pain, because it is located inside the uterus, it prevents its normal reduction during menstruation. Also, postmenstrual pain in the uterus can be caused by stress, nervous tension, and insomnia.
If the pain in the uterus stops after 2-3 days after the end of menstruation - do not worry, because the woman's body is unpredictable, and does not always work like a clock. If such pains recur after each menstruation and do not go away for a week or more, you should definitely go to a doctor to rule out possible uterine pathology.
Pain during sex after menstruation
If after menstruation you feel discomfort, then this may be due to the fact that in the first couple of days after menstruation, the lubricant secreted by the Bartollin gland is released worse than in the middle of the cycle. Similarly, a couple of days before the onset of menstruation. This fact is explained very simply: in the middle of the menstrual cycle, ovulation occurs - the most favorable time for conception, therefore lubrication is released more actively and more so that it is better to carry out the sperm secreted by a man during sex in a woman's genital tract.
If the pain is accompanied by genital itching, this may indicate a fungal infection of the female genital organs. Vaginal candidiasis or thrush is treated quickly and passes almost immediately, but if you do not pay attention to it and start the disease, then candidiasis will rise higher and cause more serious complications.
Also, pain during sex after menstruation may indicate inflammation of the ureters. Female urinary tract is extremely short (only 4 cm), so any infection penetrates without problems, causing itching, burning and inflammation. With sex (especially without a condom!), This path is reduced to impossibility.
In all the above cases, you should consult a doctor: a gynecologist and a urologist. Doctors will conduct the necessary diagnostics and prescribe treatment.
Pain treatment after menstruation
First, you should try non-medicinal methods of treatment, and if they do not help - only then go to the "heavy artillery."
- Yoga will help. To relieve pain after menstruation, it is necessary to adopt the cobra pose. To do this, you must slowly fall face down to the floor, and then just as slowly raise your head and chest, but without the participation of hands. After that, continue to raise the thoracic spine by resorting to the hands, until you feel a tingling in the back, while moving your head back as far as possible. Breathing mode when performing the exercise: inhale when lifting the body and exhale when lowering the body. You can repeat the exercise no more than 3 times. Perform slowly (so that each exercise takes 4-5 minutes).
- Another pose from yoga called "bow". Принимая эту позу необходимо лечь лицом вниз, поднять согнутые колени и сжать лодыжки руками. Если Вы достаточно гибки, то можете позволить себе перекатиться взад-вперёд, при этом задержав дыхание.
- Не секрет что оргазм приятно расслабляет и действует обезболивающе. Therefore, engaging in gentle and slow rhythmic sex will help get rid of pain. You can also resort to masturbation, but do not do this if the pain is too strong.
Painful sensations disappear quickly with regular oral contraceptive use (which often have a therapeutic effect). For the proper selection of OK you need to consult with your doctor and pass the necessary tests.
To eliminate pain after menstruation, antispasmodics and painkillers available in the pharmacy without a prescription (no-shpa, analgin, baralgin, baralgetas, tempalgin, paracetamol and analogues) will help.
Hot herbal tea with valerian will soothe and help you relax. During such pains, you should stay at home whenever possible and comply with bed rest.
Natural pain during menstruation
If every time before the onset of menstruation and during the first days of her life, a woman experiences a pulling sensation in the lower abdomen, most likely, this is due to the specific structure of her body. This condition can be explained by the following reasons:
- increasing pressure on the uterus and nerves
- the release of a large amount of estrogen
- dramatic hormonal changes.
Often the cause of the latter are age features of physiology. Women after 35 and adolescents, who only have a menstrual cycle, are confronted with irregular hormones. This process can be accompanied by heaviness in the chest, a violation of the emotional state.
From a medical point of view, such pains are not considered pathological. For this reason, sensations that regularly arise before the onset of critical days cause less concern than those that continue after they end.
Why the pulling pain
However, there are signs suggesting that such sensations arise as a signal to the woman about the changes taking place, most often not for the better. Usually it is worth paying attention to them, if earlier the menstruation began painlessly.
Causes of pain before menstruation can be such states:
- lack of vitamins and minerals
- poor nutrition,
- emotional stress
- lack of sleep
- sedentary lifestyle.
These factors, together with the unpleasant manifestations of menstruation - an occasion to think about how to take up the general state of the body. Often, pain before menstruation is a symptom of a disease called algomenorrhea. In this case, they are not pulling, but rather resemble contractions, extend to the lower part of the spine and do not recede until the very end of menstruation.
In addition, they may indicate an infection in the genitourinary system. In this case, there will be other symptoms:
- high temperature
- unnatural vaginal discharge,
- nausea, vomiting,
- general malaise,
- blood in the urine.
It also happens that a woman has a pulling sensation in the abdomen, as during menstruation, but they do not occur. The reasons for this are:
- effects of intercourse,
- an inflamed appendix
- consequences of taking hormonal drugs.
Each of the above factors is a reason to contact a gynecologist or a urologist to rule out serious problems or to have time to start treatment at an early stage of the disease.
If, after the end of menstruation, the pulling pain in the lower abdomen does not subside, this may be a symptom of various pathologies:
- inflammation in the urogenital system and kidneys (cystitis, pyelonephritis),
- acute lack of vitamins and microelements,
- nervous or physical exhaustion,
- problems with the digestive tract,
- gynecological diseases associated with inflammation.
These sensations are also a symptom of pregnancy, including pathological, the presence of ovulation or a consequence of a recent abortion or miscarriage.
Symptoms of pathologies
Naturally, the presence of serious problems will be accompanied by other signs. So, if during menstruation were less abundant than usual, and the pulling feeling in the abdomen after their termination did not disappear, this may be the first "bell" about pregnancy.
Inflammation of the genitourinary system is accompanied by recurrences during urination, and problems with gastrointestinal tract abdominal distention, general malaise.
Pathological processes in the reproductive system are accompanied by purulent or bloody discharge with an unpleasant odor, fever, itching in the genitals and painful sensations during sexual intercourse.
The main associated symptoms, with the appearance of which an urgent need to consult a doctor:
- a sharp jump in body temperature
- vaginal discharge with an unpleasant smell, bloody or purulent,
- breast enlargement, nipple discharge,
- continued bleeding after the end of menstruation.
To determine what the problem can only doctor after the survey. Standard diagnostics consists of the following steps.
- Initial examination by a doctor.
- Complete blood count to detect the inflammatory process.
- Urine tests and culture will reveal sensitivity to antibiotics and the presence of infection in the urinary tract.
- A test for the content of chorionic gonadotropin in the blood and urine will eliminate or confirm pregnancy.
- Ultrasound of the pelvic organs for the presence of pregnancy or neoplasms.
- Antibiogram seeding, PCR diagnostics to detect STDs and infection.
According to the results of the first studies, an in-depth diagnosis is appointed, for example, such procedures as colposcopy, hysterosalpingography.
If dangerous diseases were diagnosed, self-treatment is excluded. It can lead to chronic disease, infertility and even death.
However, if no serious problems have been found after a medical examination, in order to alleviate his condition during the “critical days” period, one can use traditional medicine.
Feet should be kept warm, and the underside of the abdomen wrap with a scarf or attach a heating pad. Instead of tea or coffee it is useful to make a drink from the herbs: lemon balm, chamomile, thyme, and St. John's wort. There you can add honey and lemon. In addition, it is allowed to prepare tea on the basis of wormwood at the rate of 1 spoon of grass per 200 ml of boiling water.
It is necessary to reduce physical activity, not to lift weights, to take a break from playing sports. Active exercise is a good substitute for yoga. More time should be spent outdoors and stressful situations reduced to a minimum.
If you endure the pain unbearably, help alleviate the condition No-shpa, Spazmalgon or Tempalgin.
Pulling unpleasant sensations in the lower abdomen, which began to pursue a woman after menstruation, require first of all to reconsider their lifestyle. Perhaps in this way the body signals an overload and lack of necessary substances. But if severe pain lasts longer than three days and is accompanied by signs of infection or inflammation, a visit to the doctor cannot be postponed.