Some diseases of the digestive system require additional diagnostics. To this end, applied hardware methods, including colonoscopy. This is an endoscopic study, with the help of which you can not only determine the extent and location of the lesion, but also perform surgical operations. Colonoscopy can be done for menstruation, but you need to take into account a number of nuances.
The procedure is performed to diagnose the colon. It usually takes from 20 minutes to half an hour, in rare cases it lasts a little longer. The patient is examined using special equipment, consisting of a probe, a conductor for the camera and a light guide. The image obtained during the examination of the intestine, is displayed on the monitor, provided that the office is equipped with a computer. Here's what you can do during a colonoscopy:
- take a tissue sample for histological examination,
- put a suture on the bleeding vessel,
- burn erosion
- remove some types of tumors.
To diagnose the intestine, the patient enters a sterile room and lies on a prepared couch. The procedure is performed by an endoscopist doctor, usually assisted by a nurse. If anesthesia is required, an anesthesiologist is invited.
There are 2 body positions in which it is convenient to be examined. In the first case, the patient is placed on the left side. He is administered intravenous sedatives, after which the body sinks into a deep sleep. In this state, the body does not feel discomfort and pain. For those who are afraid, including for patients during menstruation, this is the best option.
The second variant of the body position is called the Trendelenburg pose. A woman during her menstrual bleeding is unlikely to be comfortable in this position. It lies in the fact that the person is facing the couch, leaning on his knees and elbows.
Only the part of the body that is being examined is anesthetized. The patient may feel a little pain or discomfort, but the doctor has the ability to control the condition, so you can not worry.
Indications for the procedure
There must be good reasons for a colonoscopy during the discharge period. Endoscopic examination is not prescribed, if there is no serious reason. Unwantedness is due to an increased risk of complications, so only a doctor can decide whether a colonoscopy can be done during a monthly patient. The main indications for the procedure:
- genetic predisposition to intestinal cancer,
- the presence of malignant tumors in any of the relatives,
- age over 50 years
- polyposis, ulcerative colitis and some other chronic diseases,
- regular stool disorders,
- mucous or purulent discharge from the intestines,
- suspicion of the presence of a foreign body,
- suspected swelling.
In addition to absolute testimony, there are relative, that is, due to the clinical picture. Colonoscopy opens up opportunities for specialists. According to her results, the endoscopist assesses the condition of the intestinal mucosa, determines the degree of motor activity of the tissues and reveals even very small pathological changes that cannot be detected using another method. The course of the procedure is recorded on a digital medium. Along the way, surgical procedures can be performed.
Contraindications for colonoscopy
As in the case of other types of studies, contraindications are divided into 2 types. The first include diseases and disorders in which the study of the intestine can cause a life-threatening condition. Here are the main ones:
- increased or decreased blood clotting,
- inflammatory process in the body,
- general severe condition of the patient,
- intra-abdominal bleeding,
- second and third trimesters of pregnancy
- acute colitis
Endoscopy can be done for patients with pulmonary and heart failure only after a preliminary examination by a specialist. Menstrual bleeding can also be attributed to relative contraindications. Often, doctors prescribe a colonoscopy for menstruation, and whether or not it can be done it becomes clear during the examination.
If in this phase of the cycle the diagnosis is still carried out, it will not affect the intensity or duration of the bleeding. However, this is true only under the condition that there are no other nuances that can have a negative impact.
When they are, monthly can be a decisive factor.
Preparation for the survey
It is unlikely that anyone would want to subject themselves to such an unpleasant procedure twice, so it is better to prepare correctly from the first time so that the results are as reliable as possible. If the patient is prescribed a colonoscopy during menstruation, the doctor will prescribe the optimal time. It is best to still carry out endoscopy before the start of the selection or immediately after their completion.
Diet and enema
Preparing for the procedure should begin 2−3 days before its implementation. At this time, you can not eat food that causes gas. The diet should be changed to exclude such products from it:
- barley, buckwheat and other cereals,
- whole milk and cream,
- fresh fruits and vegetables.
You can eat meat, vegetable soup cooked in broth, fish, dairy products, white bread. 14–16 hours before colonoscopy, eating is stopped. You can drink tea, water, juice.
In the evening, on the eve of the examination, they do an enema, and in the morning - another 2. Such training is typical for patients who are in the hospital. To enhance the effect, you can drink castor oil or a similar agent. In the evening, an enema is made with 1.5 liters of warm water. If necessary, repeat the procedure. It is desirable to ensure that a clear liquid comes out of the intestines.
At home, it is difficult to make an enema, especially to itself, so it is better to use laxative pills. They effectively cleanse the intestines and do not cause complications. The following drugs are considered the most effective:
Instructions are attached to each preparation, and it is better to read it before purchase.
Cleansing with laxatives
To clean the intestines "Fortrans" need to use several bags. The dosage is calculated as follows: 15–20 kg of weight - 1 sachet dissolved in 1 liter of water. Thus, if a person weighs 60 kg, he needs to dilute 3–4 sachets in 3–4 l of water. The solution is drunk in small portions within 12 hours. For convenience, you can divide the entire volume into 2 parts. Then half the liquid is drunk in the evening, but not immediately, but in several stages, and the other half in the morning, 4 hours before the colonoscopy, can be done earlier.
"Duphalac" diluted by another scheme. In 1 liter of water is poured 200 ml of the drug, which is 1 standard bottle, and stirred. Drink for 3.5 hours. The drug has a mild laxative effect, sufficient for complete cleaning of the intestinal cavity.
Some patients prefer to use Flit because it does not need to be diluted. The volume that you need to drink in 2 doses is 90 ml, and this is not so much. The liquid is divided into 2 parts of 45 ml. The first portion is drunk in the morning and washed down with 1 l of warm water, the second - in the evening, and also absorbs 4–4.5 glasses of liquid.
The most complete and high-quality bowel cleansing is achieved with the use of the drug "Fortrans", so doctors usually recommend it. No one of the listed medicines has side effects, and they can be taken if bowel colonoscopy is to be performed during menstruation.
Dates of the study
It is believed that a colonoscopic examination during menstruation is undesirable, but there are cases in which this is the only possible way to diagnose a disease. The woman's body functions, obeying a certain cycle, and in its first phase any deviations from the norm become more noticeable than on other days.
A typical example is endometriosis. The disease is characterized by the fact that the cells that form the upper layer of the mucous membrane of the fundus of the uterus begin abnormal growth. Pathological lesions spread through the mucous membrane, and then through the cervix. At the reception, the patient complains of such phenomena:
- frequent urge to defecate,
- pain during intercourse,
- aching and nagging pains in the pelvic region,
- bleeding from the intestines.
With endometriosis, bleeding from the anus is observed during menstruation. This process is indirectly related to the state of the uterus, and it is one of the signs that allows to make a clinical picture. Therefore, it is recommended to prescribe the procedure on the day when there is a menstrual flow. But there are also a number of reasons why a colonoscopy during menstruation is undesirable.
Thus, in the initial phase of the cycle, the tendency to bleeding increases throughout the body. This means that the slightest damage to the intestinal wall during a biopsy or other surgical procedure may result in serious blood loss.
Increased menstrual bleeding can provoke preparatory procedures, including enema and laxatives. Women who have dilated veins in the rectal area or have hemorrhoids are at increased risk. Indeed, during menstruation, even the touch of the probe can injure the mucous membrane, not to mention the manipulations.
Thus, the decision on the appointment of a colonoscopy for menstruation is made individually. If the doctor considers this period the most appropriate, then he has a reason for that.
Colonoscopy during menstruation: yes or no
Colonoscopy is performed to identify intestinal pathologies such as injury to the intestinal walls, ulcers, suspected malignant tumors, sudden bleeding, to diagnose the large intestine after surgery.
Although many girls and women refute the possibility of carrying out the procedure during menstruation, doctors insist that this period is not 100% contraindicated and the quality of the results obtained will be no worse than on any other day. Bleeding will not affect the course of the manipulation, since the instrument will be inserted through the rectum.
Doctors say that all contradictions are formed on a psychological level - the very fact that there is bleeding during this period. If the procedure must be carried out immediately during the menstruation period, the woman can take light sedatives. If there is no urgent indication for the procedure and the woman is hysterical against this background, then it is better to wait a few days and not cause psychological trauma.
When should you have a colonoscopy during your period?
The manipulation is carried out only by the endoscopist and he can refuse the patient to conduct the procedure. Perhaps this is in the presence of contraindications. These include: the patient’s serious condition, severe forms of pulmonary and heart diseases, poor blood clotting, any severe cold and inflammatory processes, intra-abdominal bleeding.
Menstruation is not included in the general list of contraindications to the study of the large intestine (provided that they are not accompanied by a strong morbidity and profusion of discharge). But depending on the sensitivity of the female body, complications may occur after the study. Usually, critical days are accompanied by bad mood, weakness, and pain. When conducting medical interventions, they can only increase. In addition, all external stimuli are perceived differently.
Why do you need to wait?
Can you do a colonoscopy for menstruation? Especially sensitive during menstruation, women should undergo a colonoscopy because:
- During the period of monthly administration of any drugs or procedures may increase bleeding, including intestinal. This is also due to the fact that the blood vessels have swollen, the functioning of the tissues has become excessively reactive.
- The negative response of the body can be obtained by any careless actions of medical staff.
- Fabrics these days are much more sensitive due to changes in hormonal levels. It is possible to provoke bleeding on the mucous membrane much faster than on any other days.
If for a woman such procedures are not carried out during the period of menstruation is a fundamental move, this should be taken into account when signing up for a colonoscopy.
Colonoscopy: when performed during menstruation
Sometimes carrying out such a diagnosis during critical days will help to recognize hidden pathologies, since due to the hormonal surge, the standard for a woman's body can change indicators.
- If you suspect endometriosis. Epithelial cells in this disease grow so fast that they can spread not only to the uterus, but also to the intestines. In such cases, periods can be longer, painful, and abundant. In the pelvic region, pain and overcrowding can be felt. It can also affect the possibility of conception and cause discomfort during sex. If endometriosis is suspected, colonoscopy is performed only in the first days of menstruation (the picture will be especially clear and clear). This is due to the fact that in such situations, bleeding can be not only from the vagina, but also from the intestine.
- During pregnancy. It is not necessary to postpone the procedure when a woman who has a baby is suspected of having malignant intestinal tumors or intestinal bleeding. You should not refuse, both during menstruation and during pregnancy for the study of polyps and their possible transformation into oncology.
How to prepare?
All the necessary stages of preparation for colonoscopy are necessary for all, not only women, whose procedure is planned on the days of menstruation. All patients must warn the doctor about what drugs they take (especially if it is antispasmodics).
- Clean the intestines. No matter how delicate and unpleasant the procedure is, it should be done by everyone without exception. Cleansing should be done the day before the procedure with an enema. After it is allowed to use only broth or pure water without additives and gas. Manipulation should be carried out only by a specialist.
- Pay attention to food. Do not eat foods that will provoke the formation of gases (exclude 4 days before the manipulation). Legumes, fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts, oatmeal, buckwheat, sweets and dishes with lots of pepper or any other spices fall under the prohibited foods on these days. It is not recommended to drink a lot of liquid, which can provoke swelling of tissues.
- Hygiene rules. In addition to the need to timely wash, it is important to replace the tampon. That it is recommended to use for women who have decided on a colonoscopy during menstruation. You can buy special panties with a hole in the desired area. This will facilitate the work of the medical staff, and will not so much hamper a woman.
How is the manipulation during menstruation?
If a colonoscopy is performed during menstruation, the medical staff should not perform any special non-standard actions. The only inconvenience can be a poor psychological attitude of the patient herself.
The patient for the procedure is dressed in special clothes and lay down on the couch. At the same time knees are pressed to the chest, it is necessary to lie down on the left side. The doctor promptly performs a rectal examination and, after insertion into the rectum of the probe, begins the examination. In rare cases (only for medical reasons), anesthesia is performed. If no additional manipulations are needed, the procedure does not take more than 30 minutes. Those who are interested in whether it is possible to do a colonoscopy with heavy menstruation should know that if the patient finds it difficult to psychologically transfer this procedure, then there is an alternative to manipulation, which is used only in extreme cases. The doctor gives you to swallow a special capsule with a miniature sensor, which must pass through the entire length of the intestine and will be released after 9 hours.
Do not run to the doctor and immediately sound the alarm, if after a colonoscopy minor bleeding was noticed. In the absence of pain (with the exception of unpleasant sensations) - this is the norm. Minor flatulence and distention over several days after the procedure are also considered normal. If the bleeding does not pass over 3 days and increases - this is a reason to contact a specialist.