Some women, during or after antibacterial treatment, notice a change in menstrual flow. But can antibiotics affect your period? Directly, no. The action of antibacterial drugs is aimed solely at the destruction of bacteria, and the cycle is largely regulated by hormones. Therefore, the cause of the violation of menstruation should rather be sought in the disease, which forced the woman to take medicines.
How can antibiotics affect menstruation?
Antibiotics are synthetic or semi-synthetic substances that can suppress the activity of bacteria or completely destroy them. When released into the human body, they significantly change the microworld (microflora). Active substances affect pathogenic and beneficial bacteria in the same way. As a result, the body becomes almost sterile, its normal functioning is disrupted. Digestion suffers first. Without good bacteria, food digests worse, absorption of beneficial substances deteriorates. Further, the following problems appear - a decrease in immunity, failure of individual organs and systems. Given that the menstrual cycle is a rather fragile system, it can also be broken. A woman may experience the following symptoms:
- hemorrhage in the middle of the cycle
- scanty menstrual flow
- irregular periods with a frequency of 35 days or more.
After antibiotic treatment, infection can easily penetrate into the body and inflammation can develop. This is again connected with sterility, including in the vagina. Under normal conditions, the microflora suppresses the reproduction of pathogenic organisms. If it is broken, and the drugs no longer work, nothing prevents harmful bacteria from “occupying” the uterus, vagina or ovaries.
In fairness it should be noted that the failure of the cycle with antibacterial treatment is possible only in the case of prolonged and often incorrect use of drugs.
The main causes of cycle violation in antibacterial treatment
Before you make hasty conclusions that antibiotics have influenced menstruation, you should recall the reason that forced to take such serious drugs. It is an infectious disease or operation that is often the cause of a cycle failure. It is necessary to explain why.
A woman who has undergone surgery or a serious illness is always under stress. Strong tension, in turn, is accompanied by increased production of the hormones prolactin, cortisol and adrenaline. As a result, the hormonal balance is disturbed and the whole period of treatment, as well as recovery, the woman notes changes in menstruation.
In addition, the menstrual cycle is affected by diseases of the organs that produce hormones - the thyroid and pancreas, ovaries, pituitary, hypothalamus, adrenal glands. Due to the infection, the load on the organ becomes unbearable, the menstrual cycle fails.
What to do?
If antibiotics are not finished yet and a woman has spotting in the middle of the cycle or her period does not go for a long time, you should report the reaction to your doctor. This is especially important when other symptoms are observed: diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea, etc. You may need to adjust the dose or change the drug to another. Along the way, a woman should visit a gynecologist to rule out the development of the disease, which could simply coincide with taking antibiotics. Independently at home you can take the following measures:
- Start taking pre- and probiotics. Such drugs contain colonies of beneficial bacteria that help the human body to better cope with their work. Also, in order to restore microflora, it is recommended to drink fermented milk drinks (home-made kefir, yogurt with sourdough).
- Take a course of vitamin therapy. During the period of the disease and after it, the woman needs an additional source of nutrients. Preference should be given to complex vitamin and mineral supplements marked for women.
- Fully eat, sleep, do not be nervous. To recover from the disease and normalize the cycle, special attention should be paid to the daily routine. You need to sleep at least 8 hours, and eat 4-5 times a day in small portions. To calm the nervous system, you can drink herbal teas with mint, valerian, melissa, linden, chamomile.
If the cycle is not only lost, but also hurts in the lower abdomen with full force, you should take an antispasmodic and go to the doctor. It is not recommended to interrupt the antibacterial treatment by yourself or change the dosage of the drug.
After treatment with antibiotics, menstruation may be delayed a little, scanty and short-term. This is a variant of the norm, because during the time of illness the female body is greatly depleted. Nevertheless, it is important to exclude possible pathologies, as well as to take measures for recovery. Then the menstruation is normalized already the next month.
Can I take antibiotics on critical days?
The question of how justified the use of such potent agents during menstruation concerns almost every woman. Will taking antibiotics affect the duration of the cycle, the nature of the discharge and overall well-being?
Experts agree that admission is possible, but only if the medication is prescribed by a doctor. It should be understood that whatever the effect of the pills, it’s not worth losing time and postponing reception until the end of critical days. After all, an untreated infection or inflammation can be much more dangerous than the intended harm from the use of medication.
There are a number of recommendations on how to properly conduct antibiotic therapy during menstruation:
- Be sure to follow the instructions for taking the drug.
- Accurately follow the scheme of therapy proposed by the attending physician.
- In order to avoid negative effects on the gastrointestinal tract, especially if there are chronic diseases, it is worth using the drug intramuscularly.
- End the course of antibiotic therapy in order to avoid the occurrence of complications.
If the prescribed drug contains painkillers, its use will facilitate the process of menstruation.
The nature of menstruation when taking antibiotics
Usually the use of this kind of funds does not have a serious impact on the monthly allocation, but much depends on the characteristics of the body of each woman. Sometimes there are still various types of violations:
- While taking medication, excretions can be more abundant and clotted. But if the therapy is carried out in inflammatory processes of the pelvic organs, then menstruation will be easier than before the start of treatment.
- May appear brown discharge - this is possible due to increased blood clotting, with the abolition of drugs like this should not be repeated. If the daub does not stop, it is necessary to undergo an additional examination.
- Sometimes periods become scarce and the number of days usual for the ordinary course is reduced, but here the cause is not the drug itself, but the disease from which it was prescribed.
Can antibiotics affect the period of arrival of menstruation
Taking medication against an infection or an inflammatory process usually does not affect the cycle, but the disease itself can cause a delay in menstruation, especially if the organs of the reproductive system are treated. In addition, the deterioration of health and increased nervousness during illness can lead to an early arrival of monthly discharge or, conversely, to a later start.
Antibiotics are often prescribed for the prevention of complications after surgery, for example, after removal of cysts from the ovaries or gynecological cleansing, which in itself can lead to a change in the cycle without medication. But when prescribing large doses of potent antibiotics, you need to be prepared for a probable delay. This happens because of the inhibition of the processes occurring in the central nervous system and the pituitary gland. Changes the work of the hormonal system and fails.
How to normalize hormones and restore the menstrual cycle
To reduce the negative effects of antibiotics and quickly improve your well-being, you must follow the following recommendations:
- after the end of antibiotic therapy, it is necessary to support the microflora and drink a course of probiotics,
- to restore the body is assigned to receive vitamin-mineral complexes,
- if drugs are taken with antibiotics to block the production of hydrochloric acid in the stomach, it is possible to significantly reduce the development of gastric ulcer or duodenal ulcer,
- Properly chosen food intake will help you quickly restore a normal cycle. This requires fresh vegetables and fruits containing coarse dietary fiber,
- maintaining a healthy lifestyle and avoiding bad habits also contribute to the restoration of all systems in the body.
If the level of hormones is not restored after the end of antibiotic therapy, it is necessary to consult a doctor, especially if:
- constantly feeling weak and dizzy
- the delay lasts more than 7 days,
- there were itching and burning, as well as intense whitening or cheesy vaginal discharge,
- menstruation is too abundant and is accompanied by severe pain and fever.
When it became necessary to conduct antibiotic therapy, do not delay the treatment and wait for the end of the menstrual cycle. If you strictly follow all the recommendations of doctors, do not interrupt treatment before the prescribed period, you can avoid not only serious complications of the underlying disease, but also the consequences of the negative effect of antibiotics on critical days.
It is also worth remembering that before starting treatment with potent drugs, it is necessary to do a pregnancy test, because their use is contraindicated in the early stages.
The effect of antibiotics on the menstrual cycle
Possible side effects of antibacterial drugs on the menstrual cycle and the nature of the discharge:
- The delay in the arrival of regular menstruation.
- The beginning of the month ahead of time.
- The excreted blood becomes thick and acquires a brown color.
- Scanty menstrual flow.
- Increase the amount of discharge.
- Increase the duration of menstruation.
Most often, menstrual periods after a course of antibiotics do not change because of their effects, but because of the presence of associated conditions: stress, dysbacteriosis, malnutrition, infectious and inflammatory diseases.
Delay of menstruation after taking antibiotics
Strong antibacterial agents can affect the work of the central nervous system, of which the pituitary gland is a part. This organ is responsible for producing luteinizing and follicle-stimulating hormones that control the menstrual cycle. It happens that antibiotics can negatively affect the pituitary gland and the proper secretion of these hormones, as a result of which there can be a delay in the arrival of menstruation.
The delay in menstruation against the background of taking antibiotics may be due to other reasons:
- Pregnancy. At the same time, for reliability, it is necessary to test for the presence of hCG in the urine.
- Stress states due to illness, treatment or personal family problems. In this case, the woman needs the help of a psychotherapist.
- The direct influence of microorganisms on the female organs.
In any case, if a woman believes that antibiotics have brought down the cycle of menstruation, she should consult a doctor to find out the reliable cause and assign the appropriate treatment.
Monthly after antibiotics 2 times a month
Normally, the menstrual cycle ranges from 21 to 35 days, shortening it is called the proiomenorrhea.
If, after antibiotics, menstruation started early, it is most likely not due to side effects of medications. Causes of proiomenorrhea can be:
- Most likely, menstruation came prematurely due to the presence of a process of inflammation in the female genital organs,
- pregnancy, oddly enough, can also be the cause of bleeding, which is caused by the process of implantation of the ovum into the uterine wall,
- hormonal failure due to physical exertion or stress,
- uterine fibroids and endometriosis.
If the monthly after antibiotics came 2 times a month, then to establish the cause of this failure, the woman should contact her gynecologist.
Scanty monthly after antibiotics
Can antibiotics cause scanty periods? Of course, yes. This is due to the negative impact of some groups of antibacterial drugs on endometrial growth in the uterus. If its thickness is insufficient, then there will be few bleeding.
In this case, the woman must necessarily conduct an ultrasound diagnosis of the pelvic organs on the 5-7 day of the cycle to verify the condition. If the diagnosis is confirmed, the doctor prescribes special hormonal drugs.
Also, poor monthly periods can be caused by the negative effects of certain antibiotics on the pituitary gland. In this case, the cycle is restored independently after the cancellation of drugs.
When antibiotics are prescribed
With the advent of antibiotics, many diseases have ceased to be incurable. This group of drugs has received wide distribution relatively recently, only in the second half of the XIX century. However, the pharmaceutical industry is developing so rapidly that the variety of such drugs today makes it possible to choose the most suitable option in every situation.
Antibiotics are a group of drugs that act bacteriostatically (inhibit the growth and reproduction of bacteria) or bacteriocide (destroy microbial cells) on bacteria. Depending on the mechanism by which they achieve their effect, as well as on the group of microbes on which they predominantly act, they emit groups of antibiotics.
The mechanism of action of different types of antibiotics on the bacterial wall
Prescribe antibiotics for the treatment and prevention of infectious diseases. Despite the fact that drugs are prescribed to treat a particular organ, the drug acts on the entire body - absorbed from the gastrointestinal mucosa, enters the liver, which is metabolized, and then circulates in the blood and distributed in the tissues.
Some antibiotics with the same concentration enter all organs and tissues, while others - mainly accumulate in some ones.
The effect on the menstrual cycle of a woman is mediated. Antibiotics may have the following effect:
- To reduce the effect of oral contraceptives, causing cycle disruptions and increasing the chances of pregnancy, therefore additional protection is necessary during treatment and a week after.
- They can reduce the quality of the eggs and thus affect the ovulation and the quality of subsequent embryos, so it is not recommended to plan the pregnancy during antibiotic treatment and a couple more weeks after the end of the course.
And here is more about why there was an unpleasant smell during menstruation.
Should I take medications for menstruation
Antibacterial drugs themselves do not affect menstruation and it is even desirable to take them during critical days for the following reasons:
- At this time, the immunity of women is reduced and exacerbation of chronic infections occurs. Shock treatment during this period will quickly lead to a radical recovery.
- If a woman has menstruation, then she is not pregnant and it is safe to take antibiotics. If the start of treatment occurs in the second phase of the cycle, when conception has already occurred, and there are no symptoms yet, taking some antibiotics can lead to serious impairments to the development of the ovum.
How to reduce the negative impact
In any case, antibacterial drugs, in addition to the undoubted benefits, have not quite a pleasant effect on the body because of its possible toxicity and ability to affect not only pathogens, but also beneficial bacteria. Side effects from taking are associated with this. First of all, it is nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache and muscle pain, changes in the liver and kidneys, candidal colpitis.
To reduce the severity of these manifestations, you can use the following tips:
- strictly observe the dosage and regimen prescribed by the doctor,
- for the prevention of reproduction of candidal fungi should be taken once Fluconazole 150 mg orally,
- For the protection of the intestines, the use of probiotics and beneficial intestinal bacteria is recommended - Bifidumbakterin, Bifilak, Bioflor and others,
- after the end of treatment or in parallel with it, it is useful to take vitamins - A, E, C, D.
The nature of the discharge and the duration of the cycle when taking antibiotics
During an illness and reception of antibacterial drugs various violations of a cycle are possible. Most often there are delays even for those girls who have never noticed them before. Задержки могут варьировать от нескольких дней до пары недель. После этого менструации чаще всего обильнее, чем обычно, могут быть сгустки и присутствовать боли внизу живота.For the next cycle, everything should be normalized.
Less often menstruation comes faster, while they will be scarce, prolonged brown daub is possible.
If a girl takes oral contraceptives, taking antibiotics can affect the metabolism of hormones in the liver and reduce the contraceptive effect and the level of hormones in the blood. This can cause breakthrough bleeding, spotting and other cycle disorders. You should not worry, however, for reliability, you should use additional methods of protection for the duration of treatment and for another seven days after recovery.
See in this video how to choose a pregnancy test:
Common causes of delayed menstruation after antibiotics
Monthly delays during treatment should first alert the woman to pregnancy, if such a probability exists. To make sure / refute this, you should pass a blood test for hCG - the usual urinary test will not show the most likely result at this time. If pregnancy is excluded, the reason may hide in the following:
- usually the girl also had delays
- the stress that the body experiences during illness can also cause a cycle disturbance,
- the effect of microbial toxins and the body’s response to infection.
Types of pregnancy tests
Usually in the next cycle, everything returns to normal and no longer bothers. If the changes persist, you should consult a doctor for a more detailed examination.
What to do to the woman
The action algorithm is as follows:
- do a urinary test, but with a small delay it will not always give reliable information,
- instead of the test, it is better to pass a blood test for hCG - it will reliably indicate pregnancy as early as the tenth day after fertilization,
- if pregnancy is excluded - wait no more than two weeks; menstruation during this time should begin; if not, consult a doctor for further examination and treatment.
Most often, delays against the background of antibiotics are found in adolescent girls with an unstable menstrual cycle, in women after 40-45 years.
And here is more about how to change the monthly during a cold.
Antibiotics are indispensable drugs, without which treatment regimens for many diseases are not complete. The action of drugs is often systemic - the active substance is distributed in the tissues of the whole organism. Various side effects from treatment are associated with this. Disorders of the menstrual cycle are more often associated not with taking antibacterial drugs, but with the disease itself and the stress that the body suffers at this time.
See in this video about the reasons for the delay of menstruation:
Often, menstrual periods with adnexitis change - pain increases, there may even be a temperature, an unpleasant smell. But for some they remain unchanged. After treatment, the period must recover.
Against the background of a decrease in immunity under the action of hormonal background, menstruation may change, and the cold will not take long to come. How will menstruation go after or during the illness?
An unpleasant smell, reminiscent of fish, may indicate the presence of bacterial vaginosis, with monthly symptoms of which are much brighter due to changes in hormonal levels, and a decrease in protective forces.
If salpingo-oophoritis is diagnosed, antibiotic treatment is the only correct one. However, most often the scheme includes the use of several antibiotics, immunotherapy. In some cases, only surgery will help.
Antibiotics and menstruation
To answer the question of whether prescribed antibiotics can affect menstruation, it is first necessary to understand that during the illness the menstrual cycle can be lost due to the infection itself, especially if the inflammatory process affects the reproductive system. In addition, feeling unwell often causes stress, increased nervousness and irritability, as a result of which menstruation can begin prematurely or, conversely, linger for several days.
Often, antimicrobials are prescribed after surgery as preventive measures. However, some interventions, such as abortions, surgery on the thyroid gland or brain, themselves provoke hormonal failure, which also affects the menstrual cycle. It is also necessary to combine monthly and antibiotics in preparation for certain gynecological examinations, for example, hysteroscopy. In this case, antibiotic therapy is prescribed for the purpose of prophylaxis in order to avoid the development of infection after the procedure. But the strong excitement associated with the fact of the survey, can cause a temporary hormonal imbalance and, as a consequence, a violation of the cycle.
Thus, it cannot be stated unequivocally that the cause of problems with menstruation after antibiotic therapy is always in the antibiotics themselves. Most often, they indirectly affect the situation, for example, provoking the development of thrush in women, affecting the regularity of the cycle.
But in what cases do menstruation disappear after taking antibiotics? This situation becomes possible when the substances in the composition of these drugs have a detrimental effect on the work of the ovaries that regulate the functioning of the entire reproductive system. Strong antibacterial agents can also inhibit the work of the central nervous system, thereby reducing the activity of the pituitary gland, which is responsible for the production of hormones that regulate, among other things, the menstrual cycle. It is noteworthy that in women who, even before the course of treatment, often suffered from problems with menstruation, the probability of the absence of menstruation after antibiotics is much higher than that of those whose cycle rarely deviates from the norm.
In addition, not everyone knows that in some cases, after a course of antibacterial drugs, menstruation is confused and, for natural reasons, as a result of pregnancy. The fact is that the active substances that are part of some drugs of this kind can reduce the effectiveness of hormonal contraceptives, or, by provoking strong diarrhea, simply prevent them from being absorbed. Therefore, if the monthly after antibiotics did not come on time, it makes sense not only to worry about your health, but also to buy a pregnancy test.
Antibacterial therapy during menstruation
Is it possible to drink antibiotics during menstruation, and how does their intake affect the duration of the cycle and the nature of the discharge? These questions before the course of antibiotic therapy are concerned, perhaps, every woman. But, faced with a similar problem, first of all it should be understood: no matter how strong the influence of prescribed antibiotics on menstruation, the infection itself, for the treatment of which they are intended, will be many times more dangerous for the body if it is not completely coped. The main thing is to strictly observe the recommendations of a specialist, adhere to the instructions and not interrupt the course of treatment in the middle, even if the state of health has noticeably improved, and the disease, at first glance, has receded.
In addition, infections affecting the reproductive organs are best treated precisely during menstruation — the body is naturally renewed, mucous membranes are cleansed and restored more quickly. In parallel, antibiotics during menstruation can also have an anesthetic effect, if they contain relevant components.
How antibiotics affect menstruation depends on the individual characteristics of the organism: in some women, the discharge becomes abundant, clots appear, in others - scarce, markedly different from previous ones. Unusual is the duration of menstruation, reducing to 2-3 days or increasing to one and a half weeks. In any case, these changes should not be attributed only to the effects of antibiotics during menstruation, because the infection itself or stress associated with the disease sometimes has a similar effect.
Also, during therapy in women, the question may arise whether antibiotics influence the color of secretions. And, really, they can get a brown shade and a thicker consistency. The reason for this phenomenon lies in the increased blood clotting - a fairly common consequence of taking antibacterial agents. As a result, blood from the genital organs does not appear much longer, it has time to oxidize, thicken and acquire an atypical color. Accordingly, during the next menstruation, when the need to take antibiotics will no longer be present, the natural hue of the discharge should be restored, otherwise we can talk about more serious problems not related to the prescribed course of treatment.
It is important to understand that the menstrual cycle and the discharge itself after treatment of any infection are unlikely to be exemplary, except, perhaps, for diseases affecting the reproductive system - in this case, antibiotic therapy can positively affect menstruation by eliminating the existing deviations. But it is also not worthwhile to write off all the problems with menstruation only for taking medication, because serious, gynecological and hormonal disorders can hide behind the seemingly quite natural consequences of antibacterial therapy.
However, if we are talking about the need to use local antibiotics in the form of suppositories or solutions, it is still better to postpone their intake until the end of critical days. Otherwise, abundant discharge will impede the complete absorption of the active substances through the mucous membrane, significantly reducing the effectiveness of treatment. In addition, the active components of drugs that come in small doses will help pathogenic bacteria to adapt to the prescribed drugs, which will eventually lead to a chronic course of infection.
How to fix the situation
Considering the fact that after the past illness and a course of antibiotic therapy, the majority of women get off the menstrual cycle, for full restoration of health and well-being it is necessary:
- Drink away the vitamin and mineral complex to speed recovery and neutralize the side effects of the use of potent drugs.
- Restore normal vaginal microflora by taking probiotics and prebiotics. These substances are always prescribed after antibiotic therapy, regardless of how strongly antibiotics have influenced the period and the patient's well-being.
- Seek medical attention immediately if a delay after a course of treatment is accompanied by discomfort and pain in the lower abdomen. This rule applies to the case of heavy discharge after antibiotics to avoid serious blood loss and anemia.
In addition, some patients, after taking part of the prescribed medications and feeling better, refuse further therapy without asking whether the infection can return with a new force in this case. However, it is impossible to avoid relapse and serious complications, as well as to neutralize the effects of taking potent antibiotics, grossly violating the treatment regimen. Therefore, only by following the recommendations of the doctor, you can completely cope with the disease and quickly restore the regular menstrual cycle.
What drugs are considered antibiotics?
Antibiotics include all medicines that suppress pathogenic microorganisms in the human body. But often they also affect the normal microflora, so some doctors believe that the use of antibiotics can do more harm than good. At the same time, the discovery of these medicines saved a huge number of lives at one time.
Taking antibiotics can trigger the following side reactions:
- imbalance of microflora,
- malfunctions of the digestive system.
But if they affect such a significant part of the body, can they be the reason that the cycle is lost after taking it?
Menstrual cycle after taking antibiotics
When treating any disease with antibiotics, the cycle can be lost, but not drugs are most often the cause of this phenomenon.
- The disease itself, which is treated with these medicines, may well be the reason that the cycle is lost. Microorganisms that cause the appearance of the disease, also cause inflammation or the formation of pus. If all this happens in the reproductive system or in some way affects it, then most often the cycle is lost after all these processes, and not from taking the medicine.
- After surgery, the doctor may prescribe antibiotics to prevent infection in the body, which is very weak in this period of time. Also, the cycle can be lost due to excessive excitement before a complex operation.
- Stress, provoked by the upcoming operation, preparation for any study, or simply caused by the fact that the woman is sick, can cause a hormonal failure and that the menstrual cycle is lost.
- Pregnancy, which is the reason that the menstrual cycle is lost, may appear due to the fact that the effectiveness of oral hormonal contraceptives decreases with antibiotics.
The duration of the menstrual cycle while taking antibiotics
A doctor who prescribes antibiotics to a woman, as a rule, warns that against the background of their use, the menstrual cycle is often lost. The fact is that the use of this group of drugs also kills the beneficial microflora in the body, including the vagina. And although this organ of the reproductive system does not directly affect the menstrual cycle, there may still be an indirect effect. The close interconnection of the organs of the reproductive system leads to the fact that a disturbance in the balance of the vaginal microflora afterwards leads to malfunctioning of the ovaries. Sometimes this is the reason for the later maturation of the egg.
Also, the delay in menstruation may be due to the fact that these drugs affect the functioning of the central nervous system. Strong drugs are quite capable of slowing down the work of this system, which directly affects the functioning of the pituitary gland, which is responsible for the production of hormones.
Later, other organs responsible for the production of hormones are included in this chain, and the lack of estrogen and progesterone leads to a slower maturation of the egg and endometrium.
Sometimes it happens that after taking antibiotics, menstruation comes earlier than it should. But, most likely, it is caused not by drugs, but by inflammatory processes that they are intended to cure.
Is it necessary to take antibiotics during menstruation?
Having learned about whether the menstrual cycle is losing after antibiotics, many women may think about the appropriateness of such treatment. That is why it is not recommended to start treatment with this group of drugs without consulting a doctor. A specialist is able to assess all the risks and understand what is more dangerous for a woman's body - a failure of the menstrual cycle after taking medication or the spread of infection.
About the reasons for the change in the duration of the female cycle >>
When the inflammatory processes affect the organs of the reproductive system, most often it is worthwhile to begin treatment with antibiotics, without waiting for the end of menstruation. The body during this period is cleared not only from the unnecessary more endometrium, but also from other elements. Therefore, microorganisms that died from pills may well be released along with the monthly ones.
The question of the use of these medications during menstruation becomes more acute if the doctor prescribed treatment with local drugs - candles, creams or solutions. In this case, it makes sense to wait out menstruation and then start therapy. The fact is that rejected excretions can significantly interfere with the full absorption of the active substance, and this will make the treatment less effective. In this case, a small dose of the active substance, which still gets into the body, can provoke antibiotic resistance, and as a result, the transition of the disease into a chronic form.
But there is a small plus from taking this type of medication during menstruation. The fact is that they usually have a small analgesic effect. This effect is small, but it is enough to reduce or eliminate the pain symptoms that are often found in women.
How does the nature of menstruation after antibiotics?
Taking this group of drugs can cause not only that the cycle is lost, but also that the nature of the discharge changes. The effect of this on medications is also mediated through stress and the effects of the disease on the reproductive system.
Therefore, there is no direct dependence on what antibiotics were prescribed, and what periods after that began. When treating inflammatory processes in the reproductive system, the next menstruation may become even more close to normal than before.
But still, taking these medications can cause clots in the discharge, increase or decrease in profusion and other deviations in the cycle.
Do not worry if the next month after taking the medicine will turn brown. This is associated with increased blood clotting that cause antibiotics. In this case, the consistency of the discharge should also increase. More dense and thick blood lasts longer in the body and has time to oxidize during this time, so the monthly gain such shade.But if in the next cycle the secretions look like this or start to stray, then you should consult a doctor.
Scanty periods are not due to treatment, but because of an infection that exists in the body or due to severe stress. Just under the influence of these factors, the endometrium develops insufficiently.
How to minimize the consequences?
You can reduce all the negative effects of taking antibiotics if you follow these guidelines.
- Take vitamin complexes that will help to activate the immune system and contribute to the speedy recovery of the body after an illness.
- Strictly comply with the treatment regimen prescribed by the doctor. You should not end the treatment earlier if the main symptoms have already disappeared, because this can provoke a relapse of the disease and the emergence of resistance to the prescribed medication. But it is also not recommended to continue taking medication after the end of the course of treatment.
- If there is a delay of the menstrual cycle for more than a couple of days, then you should inform your doctor. If, on the background of treatment, excessively intensive periods have appeared, then an ambulance should be called.
- To return the microflora to its normal state, it is necessary to take probiotics and prebiotics, which the doctor will prescribe. It is better to start doing this before the monthly begin to stray. After all, sometimes you can completely avoid problems with the menstrual cycle.
- To prevent unwanted pregnancy, take additional measures to prevent it and make a test after the end of treatment.
The menstruation that begins after antibiotic treatment is unlikely to be completely normal. But not always the reason that the cycle goes astray is medication. Therefore, if there are doubts, it is better to contact a gynecologist and go through all the necessary diagnostics. It is especially important to visit a doctor if there are other incomprehensible symptoms, because they may indicate some kind of hidden disease.
Can antibiotics affect the cycle of menstruation
Speaking about how antibiotics can affect the health of menstruation in women, doctors agree on what they can cause:
- increased painful condition, migraine,
- delay or failure of the menstrual cycle,
- copious bleeding or scanty discharge.
Note! Doctors pay attention to the fact that quite often patients decide that the deterioration of their condition during the period of illness and menstruation is associated with the administration of antibiotics.
A physician, when prescribing medications, must tell whether antibiotics can affect menstruation and their cycle.
In fact, it increases the symptoms of the disease (infection) and against the background of menstruation, a weakened organism, the disease is more tolerated than usual.
Accurately find out whether antibiotics can affect the monthly in a particular case will help the attending physician who prescribed the drug.
How do menstrual disorders appear
The impact of antibiotics is aimed at eliminating inflammatory processes in the body, however, the potent components of the drug can also affect the flow of menstruation, disrupting hormonal levels and causing a cycle failure.
Wherein, violation of menstruation is manifested, as a rule, by such symptoms:
- discharge has a brown tint (associated with the process of blood clotting from taking strong drugs),
- scanty discharge (due to uncontrollable nervousness, disease),
- profuse discharge with blood clots.
Can I drink antibiotics on critical days?
You can take anti-inflammatory drugs during the critical days.
However, each organism is individual, each disease has its own characteristics, and each reaction to a particular drug is different.
Doctors recommend that you adhere to the following principles when taking antibiotics during menstruation:
- It is necessary to take antibiotics only on prescription,
- It is necessary to follow the instructions for taking medications, following the dosage and recommendations of the gynecologist,
- For greater efficacy and reduction of pain in the lower abdomen, it is better to make intramuscular injections of antibiotics. In this case, the load on the stomach for the processing of drugs is excluded.
What is the nature of menstruation when taking antibiotics
So, as each woman's body and the portability of the monthly cycle are individual, antibiotics can both affect the well-being, and not at all touch this process.
Among the side effects of taking antibiotics, physicians distinguish the following, described in the table.
What to do if there is no menstruation for more than 7 days?
The absence of critical days is a serious reason to visit a doctor. The causes can be very diverse, and do not always relate to the recent illness and antibiotics.
First of all, absence of menstruation for more than 7 days, may be caused, not by medication, but by pregnancy.
Secondly, if a woman took antibiotics not according to the instructions, then side effects are possible as complications of the reproductive system.
Thirdly, The cause of delayed menstrual cycle can be stress.
Work, family, a series of domestic failures - all this instantly affects the female body, which is very sensitive not only to external, but also internal stimuli.
It can help either sedatives or a competent psychotherapist.
The length of the menstrual cycle after antibiotics
After taking antibiotics, you need to prepare for the fact that drugs can affect the length of menstruation.. It may start earlier or later, go less or longer, or be absent for more than 7 days.
Such negative effects occur mainly due to rather severe inflammations in the body.
How to reduce the negative effect when taking antibiotics
The weakness of the body, poor health, total change of microflora with antibiotics - all this affects not only the mood of the woman, but also her activity. In this way, exposure to antibiotics affects the rhythm of life.
In this regard, it is imperative to combat the negative effects of past illness and to take care of women's health.
To reduce the negative, you must follow these recommendations:
- Take drugs that restore the microflora, simultaneously with antibiotics. These include various bifidobacteria and lactobacilli. They smooth out the negative effect of antibacterial pills on the body and preserve beneficial bacteria as much as possible,
- Continuously undergo examinations. If you identify the disease in the early stages, you can avoid negative consequences. The treatment will be quick and negative results will not manifest at all,
- Less nervous and worry.