During a break in the reception of combined oral contraceptives, which is usually carried out monthly for 4-7 days, many women say that they had menstruation when they took them. Is it monthly while taking contraceptives? Such bloody discharges, which resemble menstruation, are caused by the fact that when the hormones are received from the outside, the ovaries are blocked, and they stop producing their own hormones. Therefore, when you stop taking contraceptives, without the sex hormones it needs, the uterine mucosa begins to break down and flake off.
Monthly while taking contraceptive drugs
However, the use of contraceptive drugs only approximately mimics the natural processes in a woman's body. In this regard, it can often be accompanied by irregular bleeding, which may look like menstruation while taking contraceptives.
Is the discharge in the first months of birth control pills a monthly?
The amount of hormones to which the endometrium of the uterus is “used” may differ significantly from the amount that enters the body along with the pills. Therefore, in the first months of contraceptive pills, there may be scant spotting. The reason for their appearance lies in the small destruction of the mucous membrane of the uterus, caused by a lack of estrogen, a change in the ratio of estrogen with progesterone and a change in the schedule of their ingestion.
In the predominant majority of cases, after a few months, the woman’s body becomes accustomed to these changes and the discharge stops. If the discharge does not stop, it is necessary to consult a doctor. In this case, he will be able to recommend another drug that is more appropriate in a particular case.
Discharges or periods during and after skipping one or more birth control pills.
After skipping one or more pills, the level of sex hormones in a woman’s blood begins to fall sharply, as a result of which part of the endometrium of the uterus is destroyed, which is outwardly expressed in the appearance of bleeding and is a normal reaction of the body. At the first opportunity, the drug should be continued, even if at that time the discharge has not stopped.
If there was no bleeding after skipping the pills, it is necessary to have a pregnancy test as soon as possible and if the result is positive, stop taking the contraceptive and consult a doctor. If the result is negative - pills can be continued according to the scheme prescribed by the doctor.
In the first months of taking hormonal contraceptives, almost all women experience irregular or shifting menstrual cycle, as a result of which menstruation periods after the pill may be delayed. From this article you will learn how big and dangerous such a delay can be. We will also consider the timing of the recovery cycle and the fertility of a woman after the abolition of hormonal drugs.
Due to the individual characteristics of the body during the month of taking contraceptives can move for different periods. Gynecologists recommend using the following method of calculating the delay - to count the days from the last menstruation to the first pill of the drug. But this method works only if the cycle was regular, and even then not in every case.
A normal situation is considered when there are no menstrual periods within 4-5 days after the end of the contraceptive intake phase. If they do not appear within a week, you should consult a doctor for advice. This does not mean that the woman became pregnant, most likely, there was a strong hormonal failure, or the drug was chosen incorrectly. Gynecologist will tell you what to do next, but you can not stop taking pills.
A few months after the start of the use of contraceptives, when the body is completely rebuilt, problems with the cycle disappear and the delay of menstruation does not bother the woman. The main thing is to strictly adhere to the instructions and endure the problems of the first two or three months.
Now let's deal with the time that the female body needs to fully restore the monthly after giving up the pill. The following factors may affect this period:
- type of drug
- reception duration
- health status.
It is clear that the younger the woman, and the less time the drug was used, the sooner the natural menstrual cycle will resume, but the general condition of the body must be taken into account. It is considered normal up to three months after the last drunk pill.
In the first three months after the end of the reception, it is better not to plan the pregnancy, because during this period the organism is reorganized back to a normal cycle. According to statistics, in the first year after drug withdrawal, approximately 90% of women are able to become pregnant, no matter how long they took the pill. So the correct use of hormonal contraceptives does not lead to infertility.
For those women who do not believe these statistics, I recommend switching to other means of contraception, for example, contraceptive rings or intrauterine devices, which are safer than tablets.
If during half a year after refusal from reception of contraceptive monthly did not recover, the woman should consult a gynecologist. May need treatment. But such situations happen rarely and are often caused not by drugs, but by health problems that could not be identified in the early stages.
If the girl went monthly, then this is a signal that hormonal restructuring of the body has occurred and the ability to initiate pregnancy has appeared. Before the onset of menstruation, a woman may feel discomfort in general condition. This is expressed by headache, irritability, and pain in the lower abdomen, as well as in the lower back and legs. Smearing brown periods appear on the underwear, indicating the initial contractile movements of the uterus to expel the inner (endometrial) layer. From the date of onset of such symptoms, the menstrual cycle begins. Later, the discharge becomes bright, red, that is bloody. The period of menstruation may be short or longer (from three to seven days). After that, when the period of heavy periods stops, a slight daub of dark and then yellowish color is noted. After 10 - 15 days from the beginning of the cycle, the ovarian follicle ruptures in the woman and the egg enters the abdominal cavity. Such a period becomes favorable for conceiving a child.
Many women, after taking contraceptives, inhibit the function of procreation. Why? If pregnancy is undesirable, then with the help of these means, changes occur at the hormonal level. Monthly while taking birth control pills deviate somewhat from the usual rhythm. The action of oral contraceptives is aimed at redeeming the ovulation phase, which occurs under the hormonal control of the pituitary gland. In their composition, they contain progestins and estrogens, therefore they are called combination drugs. The main principle of their influence are:
- Hypothalamic - pituitary inhibition. In this case, there is a decrease in the activity of follicle-stimulating and luteinizing hormone, which delays the process of ovulation,
- Abortive action. Due to the small proliferation of the endometrium, the walls of the uterus lose the ability to cover the fertilized egg, as a result of which the implantation phase is disturbed and the blastocide dies. The implantation period of a fertilized egg is also disturbed in the conditions of the fallopian tubes. The physiological process of movement of the oocyte into the uterus, occurs with the help of a special structure of the mucous layer in the falopian tubes. Under the action of contraceptive drugs, the function of this layer weakens, which leads to immobilization and death of the ovum,
- Producing and thickening endocervical mucus. For fertilization, the egg waits for sperm in the fallopian tube. In this organ, sperm enter the vaginal part of the cervix. Under the action of contraceptive contraceptives, a certain amount of viscous and concentrated mucus accumulates in the cervical canal, preventing the movement of spermatozoa. Thus, the egg cell is not fertilized.
In addition to unwanted fertilization of the egg, contraceptives have effects on many organic systems. This effect can have a positive or negative effect. From the positive qualities of contraceptives, emit:
- Restoration of metabolism, as a result of which skin rashes disappear, a healthy complexion appears, and damaged nail plates and hair are restored. In this case, contraceptives help achieve a cosmetic effect.
- Prevention of pathological processes in the body, both in the genital area and in other systems: inflammation, salt deposition, tumor formation, anemia, poor blood clotting,
- Establishing a regular menstrual cycle. Contraceptives help establish a clear timetable for when menstruation should go and stop. As a rule, oral medications begin to be taken from the first day of the menstrual period. As long as the body adjusts to the contraceptive effect, it may begin to delay the month when taking contraceptives. Within two to three months, scanty periods can be observed when taking contraceptive contraceptives, and sometimes there are no monthly periods.
If the monthly during the intake of contraceptives came, but are accompanied by painful sensations, abundant secretions, a long period, then such a clinic occurs when an overdose of the drug is OK or if they are not properly taken. In any case, it is advisable to consult a gynecologist and, if necessary, replace the drug. The reception of contraceptives occurs according to a certain pattern. Hormonal pills for unwanted pregnancy take twenty-one days. In a week break, as a rule, menstruation should come, and its termination falls on the first days of taking the next package of contraceptives. If you have begun monthly during the reception of contraceptives, then this can occur when using two or three pills at once. Contraceptives of non-hormonal content, which are taken during the twenty-eight days of the cycle, without interruption, cause monthly. The latter go on certain days during the month.
In many women, the menstrual cycle may be irregular, and when taking birth control pills, it is set and the monthly period begins on the same day. After the use of contraceptives ends, the cycle of menstruation does not change and remains regular for a long time. In some cases, he becomes upset and within three months he recovers. The reason for such symptoms is the restructuring of the body to changes in hormonal levels, as well as the pathological process or pregnancy. The monthly cycle for women who use contraceptives may change somewhat. Monthly can go for a shorter period or long. The cycle duration changes from twenty-one to twenty-eight days or vice versa. Such changes are not considered a pathological condition, as long as menstruation is regular.
Hormonal contraceptives have many negative aspects that women and medical specialists should take into account before taking. Contraindications or warning factors are:
- The presence of severe chronic diseases (diabetes, kidney or liver failure, endocrine pathologies),
- The presence of problems with the cardiovascular system (hypertension or hypotension, heart failure),
- Failure of the menstrual cycle with a long history, as well as urinary and genital pathologies (symptoms of an irregular monthly cycle are allowed in the first months of taking the contraceptive medication, and then everything returns to normal),
- The presence of excess body weight. Every organism reacts to hormones in a different way. Some women who use contraceptives note increased sweating, belly hair, chest and face, and swelling or weight gain. Sometimes the breast increases noticeably,
- The appearance of pigmentation of the skin,
- Lack of desire for sexual intimacy or vice versa, increased libido, does not apply to the pathological effect of hormonal drugs, but may be present as a side effect
- The appearance of irritability or depression,
- Headache, nausea, lack of or increased appetite, intestinal upset, dizziness,
- A strict contraindication to the use of contraceptives is pregnancy, breastfeeding, smoking and the presence of a cancer process in oranism,
- If you experience any unpleasant sensations associated with the use of contraceptives, you need to wait a while, observe the body or consult a specialist. In some cases, hormonal contraceptives are replaced by other drugs, even non-hormonal nature.
Among the large number of funds that impede the development of pregnancy and restore the menstrual cycle, can be identified:
- Combination pills are composed of a specific combination of hormones (monophasic, biphasic, and three-phase),
- Microdose hormones that are better tolerated by women and do not cause significant changes in the body system. They are called mini-drank and they are shown even to women who have certain pathologies of blood vessels, liver and metabolism. If a woman gave birth and breastfeeds a baby, then mini-drank can be used after two months from childbirth. After the start of taking the contraceptive drug, the period may be scanty and not regular, but after a couple of months, the cycle will be established. The course of treatment is twelve months and after a follow-up examination and examination of the woman, it can be continued.
- The study of the action of injection contraceptives, which are used once every three months in the form of intramuscular administration of a hormone, has shown that pregnancy does not occur within three months. After delivery, after six months, such an injection can already be done,
- To protect against unwanted pregnancy for five years, you can use contraceptive subcutaneous implants. This drug is injected into the region of the forearm through an incision in the skin. The effect of such a contraceptive is the gradual entry of the gestogen into the bloodstream,
- The use of a vaginal ring containing hormones is to establish the means from the first day of menstruation. Within three weeks, the vaginal ring protects the woman from the onset of fertilization of the egg. This tool has little effect on other organs and tissues in the body of a woman. When hypersensitivity to the ring material, this method of contraception is contraindicated,
- The use of contraceptive patches by women is also widely used among contraceptives. To do this, the patch can be glued to the lower half of the abdomen, the inner surface of the thighs once every seven days for three weeks. The beginning of this procedure coincides with the first day of the monthly cycle. The period of interruption of the patch application is a week. The condition for sticking the plaster is clean, dry and undamaged skin.
- One type of contact contraception is the intrauterine device, which is inserted and removed from the uterus in a medical institution. Wearing a spiral can cause disruptions in the menstrual cycle, but over time, its rhythm is restored and the woman is reliably protected from unplanned pregnancy for about five years.
Monthly while taking birth control pills should begin after the last pill. It should be understood that when using oral contraceptives menstruation is not complete. The appearance of menstrualike discharge. But not always the appearance of such discharge occurs in a timely manner. During the first three cycles, the body becomes accustomed to the drug. In some cases, in the presence of hormonal disorders, menstruation is restored after six months.
Your doctor will help you find the right product.
Monthly while taking contraceptives undergo changes. Medications contain various doses of estrogen hormone. He is responsible for the formation of the first phase of the female cycle. Также в этот период наблюдается выделение фолликулостимулирующего вещества. Оно вызывает активную деятельность одного из яичников. На поверхности органа появляется небольшая полость, содержащая яйцеклетку. В середине менструального цикла эстроген заменяется лютеинизирующим гормоном.He is responsible for the release of the egg from the follicle. This period is called ovulation. It is in ovulation that a woman can become pregnant.
Contraceptive pills increase your own estrogen levels. Against this background, the follicle-stimulating substance ceases to be produced. The onset of ovulation does not occur. A woman becomes temporarily sterile.
All oral contraceptives contain 21 pills. At the end of one pack, you need to take a week break. During the break should begin monthly. Regardless of whether menstruation began or not, the next pack begins after 7 days break. This technique allows you to get the perfect cycle in 28 days.
Modern contraceptives affect not only the fertility of women, but also the quality of cervical mucus. Normally, in a woman, the quality of vaginal discharge varies throughout the entire cycle. Before the onset of ovulation, the volume of cervical mucus increases significantly. It becomes transparent and viscous. This quality of discharge allows spermatozoa to quickly overcome the uterine neck and into the cavity.
A young couple should think over the issue of protection in advance.
The pill has a negative effect on the secretory glands of the cervical canal. The drug reduces mucus secretion. This process is accompanied by an increase in viscosity of cervical secretions. In such secretions male sex cells can not actively move. A large number of spermatozoa lingers in the mucus and dies after a while.
The action of the drug is based on the amount of active ingredient. Modern contraceptives contain small doses of the substance. This quality helps to avoid various complications. With high doses, women often experience a sharp increase in body weight, dizziness, and mood swings. For this reason, before starting oral contraceptive contraception, it is necessary to visit a doctor. Self-admission can greatly harm the female reproductive system.
Formation cycle under protection
Monthly while taking birth control pills do not begin immediately and may have various deviations from the norm. When consuming hormonal drugs, menstruation should begin in three weeks. But the formation of the cycle does not occur immediately. In the first few months, discharge may occur before the end of the package. In some patients, periods do not start after the first pack. For this reason, the woman should know what problems may arise in the first three cycles of oral protection. The following possible problems are considered:
- reducing the amount of discharge
- failure of the duration of menstruation,
- lack of menstruation,
- change premenstrual symptoms.
Most women report a decrease in secretions. Monthly become scarce, impurities of mucous inclusions disappear. This change occurs due to a decrease in the level of follicle-stimulating hormone. It is responsible not only for the formation of the follicle, but also for the growth of the endometrial layer of the uterus. This fabric serves as a kind of bed for the ovum. For a normal pregnancy, the fabric should be at least 11 mm thick. If conception did not occur, during menstruation, endometrial residues are removed from the uterus.
The number of days of the menstrual cycle for each woman individually
With a decrease in the level of follicle-stimulating hormone, the endometrium does not grow to the desired size. Its thickness is 3-5 mm. With this thickness, the volume of discharge is significantly reduced.
The duration of menstruation for each woman is individual. The discharge can last from three to seven days. When taking contraceptives, the duration of menstruation is also reduced. This is due to a decrease in the amount of discharge. Monthly in the first cycles can last 2–3 days. After the body becomes accustomed to the tablets, the duration can be 3-5 days.
In some cases during the first selection cycles disappear. Do not be afraid of this. The body needs some time to develop a drug habit. With a sufficient accumulation of estrogen, menstruation will return on its own.
What else affects the cycle
In rare cases, menstruation does not begin immediately after withdrawal of the pill. In the normal cycle, excretions appear on the following day after the end of the packaging. At first, the monthly can begin on any day of the seven-day break. But it is worth knowing if the menstruation began on the last day of the break, taking the pills begins strictly according to the scheme - on the eighth day. Gradually, the cycle time is normalized. The cycle length will be four weeks.
There is also a change in the premenstrual symptom. A few days before the expected menstrual period, women experience a variety of symptoms. There is an increase in breast volume, nagging pain in the lower abdomen, a change in mood, a slight increase in body weight. These symptoms are due to progesterone. The hormone affects the activity of the vascular, nervous and lymphatic systems. When taking oral contraceptives, progesterone growth stops. The hormone is produced in the corpus luteum, which forms on the site of a bursting follicle. Due to the lack of ovulation, progesterone cannot grow. For this reason, premenstrual syndrome disappears. This should not be scared. The body rests on the activity of progesterone.
These problems occur in the first 2-3 cycles of therapy. Normally, side effects should disappear after getting used to the active substance. If these violations do not disappear, you need to inform your gynecologist. The doctor must change the drug or method of protection against unwanted pregnancy.
Possible complications while taking the drug
After getting used to the monthly come on the 22nd day of the cycle. But even with the normalization of the body's activity, undesirable problems may appear. The following pathologies may occur:
- ovarian failure,
- breakthrough bleeding,
- hormonal failure,
- change in the quality of vascular fiber,
- dyspeptic symptoms
- allergic reactions to active substances,
- change in blood fluid density,
- the onset of pregnancy.
Uncontrolled medication may cause complications.
Ovarian cessation is diagnosed only after discontinuation of contraceptive use. With this pathology revealed the absence of ovulation for several cycles. During diagnosis, the doctor detects the presence of multiple small follicles on the surface of the ovary. In this case, the dominant neoplasm is not detected. With such ovaries, pregnancy is impossible. Such a pathology in recent years has been found in many women. In most cases, the activity of the organs normalizes independently. If the problem persists, it is necessary to undergo complex hormonal treatment.
Some patients are faced with the fact that menstruation began while taking contraceptives. The volume of discharge gradually increases. They lack the admixture of mucus. The color of the menses becomes bright red. Such discharge indicates breakthrough bleeding. Pathology is detected in 20% of patients. The problem is associated with the violation of the activity of hormones and blood vessels. A sharp rise in progesterone causes endometrial rejection. The walls of the uterus are damaged. Blood begins to flow from the damaged vessels. With this complication, you must call an ambulance. Only specialists can conduct a competent stop of blood loss.
Often, after the abolition of contraception, women complain of a menstrual cycle. In the first few months there is a restoration of its own cycle. If the jumps in the duration of the month remain, it is necessary to undergo a medical examination. A woman needs to donate blood three times during the cycle. The fluid is examined for the content and amount of a particular hormone. The reason for the jumps is the failure of a hormone. After the examination, the doctor prescribes additional drug treatment.
There are problems with vascular fiber. The change in the volume of menstruation occurs with the defeat of the walls of blood vessels. Contraceptives cause changes in vascular elasticity. The fiber becomes less flexible and dense. Against this background, there is a change in the general condition of the vascular tissue. With prolonged use of birth control pills, women may develop varicose veins. The disease is characterized by the formation of cavities in the vascular fiber. The fluid stagnates in them and leads to the formation of large venous nodes. Such a pathology can affect any organ.
Some patients complain of the appearance of dyspeptic symptoms during menstruation while taking oral contraceptives. Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea may occur during treatment. Normally, such complications should disappear within three months. If they persist, you need to contact a gynecologist to replace the drug.
Some pills lead to an increased allergic reaction.
Like many drugs, birth control pills can cause a variety of allergic reactions. Exacerbation of allergies often occurs during menstruation. To get rid of the problem, you should also visit the medical center.
Oral contraceptive medications do not always cause dilution of menstrual flow. In some cases, periods become thick and scanty. This pathology develops due to an increase in the level of platelets and leukocytes. The growth of platelets is accompanied by the formation of neoplasms in the vascular lumen. Women taking oral contraceptives often suffer from thrombophlebitis.
The annotation attached to the drug, clearly prescribed rules for admission. Contraceptive pills need to be taken daily strictly at the same time. If a woman forgets to take the drug, you need to take a pill at any time. At the same time, the instructions state that it is necessary to adopt additional methods of protection. If a woman has violated the reception, you need to closely monitor the beginning of the next monthly. With a slight delay, it is recommended to make a test for the presence of chorionic gonadotropin. A frequent consequence of such a violation is the occurrence of pregnancy.
How to avoid complications
Contraceptive pills and monthly interrelated. In order not to get some unwanted complications, you need to follow the following rules:
- drug selection by a specialist,
- preventive medical examination,
- careful adherence to instructions for use.
Hormonal drugs are not recommended to buy on their own. Wrong choice of drug may cause undesirable effects. For this reason, the choice of oral contraception should be made only by the attending physician.
A gynecological examination is required for every three cycles. It will help to establish the beginning of the development of problems. Also, the doctor can track how the body reacts to the means used. To reduce the risk of adverse reactions, the patient must follow all the recommendations prescribed in the instructions.
When using contraception, you need to monitor the characteristics of menstruation. Any disturbing symptoms require timely visits to the doctor.
Currently there are a large number of contraceptives. However, they all have side effects. Monthly while taking birth control pills often get off, and this is due to a violation of hormonal levels.
1 Action contraceptives
After the start of taking contraceptives, the body needs time to adapt to the hormonal drug. Basically this process takes about 3 months. A feature of the adaptation period is the reduction of ovarian function and the production of estrogen by them in a smaller than usual amount.
Taking the pills leads to the fact that women have spotting, which appear and disappear. Such a process can last for 3 to 6 months. In addition, menstruation after the start of oral contraceptives should appear only after 21 days. If a spotting occurs before this time, it can be concluded that the preparation contains the missing amount of estrogen, which means that it does not fully suppress the natural formation of this hormone by the ovaries. To avoid unwanted pregnancy, you need to pick up other pills.
It may be different. For example, the delay in menstruation when taking birth control pills is quite common. This is because the release of hormones by the ovaries is too restrained. Absolutely the opposite phenomenon may be menstruation while taking hormonal contraceptives. There are too heavy discharge associated with hormonal imbalances. If this situation is scary, it is better to refuse this remedy. Then the menstrual cycle will begin to improve and fully restored in a few months.
Some women are alarmed by the fact that even after the pills have been excluded from the intake, menstruation does not appear for a long time. However, in this case, their absence is considered normal. If the monthly cycle is not adjusted within half a year, then it is worth worrying and go to a medical institution.
2 Benefits of oral medication
Despite the fact that any oral contraceptive is a hormonal drug and it is necessary to take it only as prescribed by a doctor, it still has some advantages. According to statistics, most women taking birth control pills and suffering from painful sensations during their periods can be relieved. Pain in the abdomen and lower back will become much less, the volume of discharge will decrease (40-60 g for the whole menstrual cycle). In addition, unpleasant days will end faster.
3 Discharge in the period between menstruations.
There are cases when during the administration of hormonal pills menstrual flow began and are repeated for three consecutive cycles. This process is a side effect that occurs quite often. In this situation, you need to pay attention to which half of the cycle of bleeding occurs. This will establish the cause and, if necessary, select another, more suitable drug.
And a little about the secrets.
Have you ever suffered from problems with Menstrual cycle ? Judging by the fact that you are reading this article - the victory was not on your side. And of course you do not know firsthand what it is:
- heavy or scanty clots
- chest and lower back pain
- pain while having sex
- unpleasant smell
- urination discomfort
And now answer the question: does it suit you? Is it possible to endure problems? And how much money have you already “leaked” to ineffective treatment? That's right - it's time to stop with this! Do you agree? That is why we decided to publish an interview with the chief gynecologist of Russia Leyla Adamova, in which she revealed the simple secret of normalizing the menstrual cycle. Read the article ...